The Applied Economics Research Center (Institution of National Capability in Applied Economics) has announced admission into its 38th annual session M.A.S. / M.Phil. leading to Ph.D. program for morning session of 2013-2014.
AERC, University of Karachi, is a leading research and teaching institute in the country imparting advanced training in applied economics since 1979. This program trains students to work in research organizations, academic institutions, financial and banking institutions, development agencies and the private sector. Graduates from AERC are currently holding high level positions in organizations like the World Bank, UN, State Bank of Pakistan, universities and the private sector.
Part-1 Courses Offered (based on 42 credit hours)
First Quarter (Compulsory)
- Mathematics for Economists
Second Quarter (Compulsory)
- Development Economics
Third Quarter (Compulsory)
- General Equilibrium and Welfare Economics
- Issues in Pakistan’s Economy
- Applied Econometrics and Computer Applications
- Research Methodology
Fourth Quarter (Any 2 Optional Courses)*
- Agriculture Economics
- Industrial Economics
- Islamic Economics
- International Trade
- Public Finance
- Project Evaluation
- Urban Economics
- Monetary Economics
- Environmental Economics
- Economics of Human Resource
- Portfolio Management and Investment Analysis
* Subject to the availability of faculty.
On successful completion of Part-I, students may be eligible for the terminal degree of M.A.S. in Economics. Students meeting the minimum requirements may transfer to the M.Phil. / Ph.D. program.
Part-II Thesis Requirement
In Part-II successful students are required to write and subsequently defend a thesis in one of the specialized fields.
- Highly qualified faculty
- Well-equipped computer lab / internet facilities
- Excellent research library (full depository of IMF, ADB and World Bank publications)
- Individual student counseling
- M.A. / M.Sc. in Economics / M.Com. / MBA or Masters in any other discipline or equivalent degree from a university recognized by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) in at least second division.
- Candidates awaiting final exam results are also eligible.
- The eligible candidates will be required to qualify an admission test (sample test papers are available on AERC’s website). GAT (Subject) conducted by National Testing Service (NTS) or GRE Test scores may be acceptable in lieu of the test.
Note: Walk-in is allowed on presentation of original C.N.I.C. and payment of a fee of Rs.1,000-2,000.
Calendar of Events
|Admission Test||January 02, 2013|
|Interviews (outside Karachi)||January 03, 2013|
|Interviews (Karachi)||January 07, 2013|
|Display of list of selected candidates||January 09, 2013|
|Confirmation by the selected candidates||January 16, 2013|
|Orientation day and commencement of classes||January 25 and 28, 2013|
The Admission Test will be concurrently held on January 2, 2013 at 10:30 am sharp at the following test centers:
- Applied Economics Research Center, University of Karachi, Karachi
- Department of Economics, Government College University, Lahore
- Department of Economics, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad
- Department of Economics, Balochistan University of Information Technology, Engineering and Management Sciences, Quetta
- Institute of Business Administration, Sukkur
- Department of Economics, Bahauddin Zakaria University, Multan
- Department of Economics, University of Peshawar, Peshawar
Fee and Fellowship
All students joining the program will be required to pay monthly tuition fee. Selected students may be exempted from paying tuition fee and/or may be eligible for a fellowship up to Rs.1,500 per month depending on their academic performance and financial needs. Out of station students may be provided an additional allowance subject to the approval of AERC.
- Incomplete application forms will not be accepted.
How to Apply
Completed application on a prescribed Application Form (available on AERC’s website or obtained from Graduate Studies Program Office, AERC) with cash / money order only of Rs.500 in favor of Applied Economics Research Center, must be received by December 21,2012.
Secretary, Graduate Studies Program,
Applied Economics Research Center (AERC),
University of Karachi, Karachi.
Telephone: +92 (021) 99261541-3 Ext.: 242
Fax: +92 (021) 99261545
E-mail: gsp (at) aerc.edu.pk