Australian Development Awards – Pakistan (including the Australian Leadership Awards Scholarships)
The Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) is pleased to invite applications for the 2013 intake of Australia Awards – Development Awards for the 2013 intake for study at Master’s level in Australia.
Development Awards include Australia Development Scholarships, Australia Pakistan Agriculture Scholarships and Australian Leadership Award Scholarships.
The overarching goals of Australia’s Development Awards are to develop capacity and leadership skills so that individuals can contribute to development in their country or region and to build people-to-people links at the individual, institutional and country levels. To achieve these goals AusAID requires scholars to return home for two years after they have completed their studies and expects that they will participate in Australia Awards alumni activities.
Australian Development Scholarship and Australia Pakistan Agriculture Scholarship applicants who demonstrate the most potential to impact development in Pakistan will be considered for the additional prestigious Australian Leadership Award. The scholarships cover the full cost of travel to and from Australia, tuition fees and a living allowance for the duration of the academic course. Successful applicants (who currently reside in Pakistan the year round) must be available to take up the award in Semester 1, January 2013.
General Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must meet all of the Australia Awards general eligibility criteria. These include:
- be Pakistani citizens (dual nationals are not eligible), and currently residing in Pakistan;
- not have applied for or hold permanent residency in Australia or New Zealand;
- not be married or engaged to a person who is eligible to hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residence;
- satisfy Australian Government requirements for international student visas for entry to Australia (heath, character etc.);
- be able to provide a Police Security Clearance certificate at the time of Visa application;
- not hold another scholarship;
- not have held a foreign scholarship in the 24 months preceding the application (24 months are calculated from the date of arrival back in Pakistan to the closing date for applications);
- be applying to commence a new course of study and not be seeking support for a course already commenced in Australia (ongoing study programs will not be supported);
- be able to take up the scholarship in the year for which it is offered;
- have outlined a case that is clear about their objectives and motivation to make a contribution to development in Pakistan;
- be not more than 45 years of age at the time of application;
- have completed 16 years of education;
- be able to meet the profile specific eligibility criteria under which they are applying (see the four profiles on the Australian Development Scholarships (ADS)-Pakistan website given below);
- be applying for a Masters level course;
- be applying for courses that fall within the priority sectors identified below;
- satisfy the admission requirements of the Australian tertiary institution and the course to be undertaken;
- have a relevant academic background to proposed study in Australia;
- be able to demonstrate the ability to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements for the Scholarship;
- at the time of application candidates applying under Profile 4 must have a current IELTS score of 7 with no band less than 6;
- candidates applying under Profile 1, 2 and 3 successful in preliminary screening and having no current IELTS score, will be required to take an IELTS test on short notice (an IELTS score of 6.5 with no band less than 6 is required for eligibility);
- have at least 2 years work experience in the field in which they are applying (5 years experience is required for applicants falling under profile 2); and
- must return to his/her home country to take up a position that utilizes his/her study for a minimum period of two years.
Australian Development Scholarships Priority Sectors
The Australian Development Scholarships are offered in line with Pakistan’s key development priorities. These are:
- Maternal, neonatal and child health services
- Basic education services
- Rural development and food security
Australian Pakistan Agriculture Scholarships Priority Sectors
The Australia Pakistan Agriculture Scholarships are offered in line with Pakistan’s key development priorities. These are:
- Pro-poor market development in rural areas
- Rural economic and market reforms
- Irrigation and water resource management
Priority will be given to applicants from Balochistan, Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa (KP). Five per cent of awards are reserved for people living with disabilities, or for those working with people with disabilities. High priority will be given to those who have not had the opportunity to study overseas at the post-graduate level. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Further information and details on how to apply are available on the Australian Development Awards – Pakistan website.
All applicants must ensure they fall under one of the four scholar profiles and meet the profile specific eligibility criteria as outlined on the website.
Application forms in hard copy are available at the following TCS Express centers:
- 54, The Mall, Near PTV Station, Peshawar.
- 11, Kashmir Road, Sadar, Rawalpindi.
- Shop # 1-Shakeel Chamber, Khayaban-e-Suharwardy,7 Avenue Crossing, Aabpara, Islamabad.
- Main MA Jinnah Road Opposite Askari Commercial Bank, Quetta.
You may also download the Application Forms from Australian Development Awards – Pakistan website.
Applications close on Friday, April 06, 2012.
Forms will be accepted via courier at the address below.
Australian Development Scholarships,
Level 4, Serena Business Complex, Khayaban-e-Suharwardy,
Sector G-5/1, Islamabad, Pakistan.
For further information, please visit Australian Development Awards – Pakistan website: http://www.adspakistan.com.pk or write to info (at) adspakistan.com.pk.