The Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) invites people who are committed to contributing to the development of Pakistan to apply for the 2012 Australian Development Scholarships (ADS), for Masters Level Study, offered as part of the Australia Awards. Australian Development Scholarships offer citizens of developing countries the opportunity to undertake postgraduate study in Australia.
ADS targets public sector reforms and improved standard of governance in both public and private sectors. The aim is to improve technical and leadership capacity of men and women working in federal and provincial governments, non-profit civil society, and the private sector. The scholarships cover the full cost of travel to and from Australia, tuition fees and a living allowance for the duration of the academic course. Successful applicants (who currently reside in Pakistan the year round) must be available to take up the award in Semester 1, January 2012.
General Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must meet all of the ADS’s general eligibility criteria. These include:
- be Pakistani citizens (dual nationals are not eligible), and currently residing in Pakistan;
- not have applied for or hold permanent residency in Australia or New Zealand;
- not be married or engaged to a person who is eligible to hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residence;
- satisfy Australian Government requirements for international student visas for entry to Australia (health, character etc.);
- be able to clear a Police Security Clearance conducted by a third party on behalf of AusAID;
- not hold another scholarship;
- not have held a foreign scholarship in the 24 months preceding the application (24 months are calculated from the date of arrival back in Pakistan to the closing date for applications);
- be applying to commence a new course of study and not be seeking support for a course already commenced in Australia (on-going study programs will not be supported);
- be able to take up the scholarship in the year for which it is offered;
- have outlined a case that is clear about their objectives and motivation to make a contribution to development in Pakistan;
- be not more than 45 years of age at the time of application;
- have completed 16 years of education;
- be able to meet the profile specific eligibility criteria under which they are applying (see the four profiles on the ADS website given below);
- be applying for a Masters level course;
- be applying for courses that fall within the priority sectors identified below;
- satisfy the admission requirements of the Australian tertiary institution and the course to be undertaken;
- have a relevant academic background to the proposed study in Australia;
- be able to demonstrate the ability to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements for the Scholarship;
- at the time of application candidates applying under Profile 4 must have a current IELTS score of 7 with no band less than 6;
- candidates applying under Profile 1, 2 & 3 successful in preliminary screening and having no current IELTS score, will be required to take an IELTS test on short notice (an IELTS score of 6.5 with no band less than 6 is required for eligibility);
- have at least 2 years work experience in the field in which they are applying (5 years experience is required for applicants falling under profile 2); and must return to his/her home country to take up a position that utilizes his/her study for a minimum period of two years.
The Australian Development Scholarships are offered in line with Pakistan’s key development priorities. These are:
- Maternal, neonatal and child health services
- Rural development & food security
- Basic education services
Priority will be given to applicants from Baluchistan, Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP). Five per cent of the awards are reserved for people living with disabilities, or for those working with people with disabilities. High priority will be given to those who have not had the opportunity to study overseas at the post-graduate level. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to apply?
Further information and details on how to apply are available on the ADS website: http://www.adspakistan.com.pk.
All applicants have to ensure they fall under one of the four scholar profiles and meet the profile specific eligibility criteria as outlined on the website.
Hard copies of Application Forms are available at the following TCS Express centers:
- 54 The Mall ,Near PTV Station Peshawar.
- 11 Kashmir Road Sadar, Rawalpindi.
- Shop # B 11-14 Aslam Market Aabpara Islamabad.
- Main MA Jinnah Road Opposite Askari Commercial Bank, Quetta.
Last date for submission of application forms is Friday 8 April 2011.
Forms will be accepted via courier on the address given below.
For further information, you may please contact:
Australian Development Scholarships
Level 4, Serena Business Complex, Khayaban-e-Suharwardy,
Sector G-5/1, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Telephone: +92 (051) 2600186-9
Fax: +92 (051) 2600191
E-mail: info (at) adspakistan (dot) com (dot) pk